Books by Lorenn Walker
Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications
Katherine van Wormer & Lorenn Walker, 2012, Sage Publications.
Katherine van Wormer & Lorenn Walker, 2012, Sage Publications.
Lorenn's Articles on Restorative Justice
- Walker (in press), Restorative Practices in Hawai’i’s for Juveniles, In ED. K. Jaishankar, Interpersonal Criminology, CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group.
- Walker, (2015) Reentry circles for the innocent: the psychological benefits of restorative justice and taking responsibility in response to injustice, In Ed. Gavrielides, The Psychology of Restorative Justice: Managing the Power Within, Farnham: Ashgate Publishing
- Walker, Tarutani & McKibben, 2015, Benefits of Restorative Reentry Circles for Children of Incarcerated Parents in Hawai’i, in Promoting the Participation of Children across the Globe: From Social Exclusion To Child-Inclusive Policies, Eds. Gal & Faedi Duramy, London: Oxford University Press.
- Walker & Kobayashi, 2015, Restorative & Therapeutic Reentry Rituals. In Offender release and supervision:The role of Courts and the use of discretion , Ed. Evans, Netherlands: Wolf Legal Publishing
- Walker, 2015, Applied positive criminology: Reentry and transition planning circles for incarcerated people and their loved ones, In Positive Criminology: The Good Can Overcome the Bad , Eds. Ronel & Segev, London: Routledge Books
- Walker, 2013, Restorative Justice: Definition & Purpose, In van Wormer & Walker, 2013, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA: Sage.
- Walker, 2013, Remembering Bob Shapel: A Prison Dialogue at Walla Walla , In van Wormer & Walker, 2013, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA: Sage.
- 2013, 3 articles in English and French about a restorative dialogue for the murder & loss of Bob Shapel held at Washington State Penitentiary July, 2011 -- 2 participants (victim & offender) and the facilitator wrote short essays: Walker, Witnessing and Being Present With Suffering: A Power of Restorative Dialogue; Hansen, Picking Up the Pieces: Confronting a Killer; Schorr, Restorative Dialogue: If You Have the Opportunity, It’s Worth It, Inspiring Innovation, Restorative Justice Week 2013, Correctional Service Canada.
- Walker, Johnson & van Wormer, 2013, Brazil’s Restorative Prisons, In van Wormer & Walker, 2013, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA: Sage.
- Walker, 2013, Restorative Celebrations for Parolee and Probationer Completion: The Importance of Ritual for Reentry, In van Wormer & Walker, 2013, Restorative Justice Today: Practical Applications, Los Angles, CA:Sage.
- Walker, 2012, Solution-Focused Reentry and Transition Planning for Imprisoned People. In De Jong & Berg’s Interviewing for Solutions. New York: Norton.
- Facilitator Development and Training for Reentry Planning Circles , Walker, Offender Programs Report: Social and Behavioral Rehabilitation in Prisons, Jails and the Community, 16:1, 1, 11-16, May/June, 2012.
- Huikahi Restorative Circles: Group Process for Self-Directed Reentry Planning and Family Healing, European Journal of Probation, Walker, October 2010, 2:2, p. 76-95 link to article
- Huikahi Restorative Circles: A Public Health Approach for Reentry Planning , Walker & Greening, Federal Probation Journal, June 2010, Vol. 74:1. link to article
- You're Gonna Make It: Reentry Planning at a Hawai'i Women's Prison, Walker, in Van Wormer's Working with Female Offenders: A Gender-Sensitive Approach, Wiley: New Jersey, 2010, p. 178 - 182.
- Modified Restorative Circles: A Reintegration Group Planning Process That Promotes Desistance, Walker, Contemporary Justice Review, Vol. 12, No. 4, December 2009, 419-431.
- Restorative Circles: Helping Imprisoned People & Loved Ones Meet Their Needs, October 2009, Correctional Service of Canada Restorative Justice Week Kit.
- Pono Kaulike: Reducing Violence with Restorative Justice and Solution-Focused Approaches , Walker & Hayashi, Federal Probation Journal, June 2009 Vol 73, No. 1, 23-27. additional link
- Restorative Justice is a Mandated Component of Hawai'is Reentry System, Brady and Walker, Justice Connections, Issue 6, Summer 2008.
- Waikiki Youth Circles: Homeless Youth Learn Goal Setting Skills, Walker, Journal of Family Psychotherapy, Vol. 19(1) 2008
- Implementation of Solution-Focused Skills in a Hawaii Prison, Walker, In Interviewing for Solutions, Berg and DeJong, 2008.
- Pono Kaulike: A Hawaii Court Provides Restorative Justice Practices for Healing Relationships , Walker & Hayashi, Federal Probation Journal, Vol. 71, No. 3, 18-24, 2007. additional link
- A Gift of Listening for Hawaii's Inmates, Walker & Sakai, Corrections Today, December 2006
- Restorative Circles: A Reentry Planning Process for Inmates, Walker, Sakai & Brady, Federal Probation Journal, June 2006, Vol. 70, No. 1. additional link
- E Makua Ana Youth Circles: A Transition Planning Process for Youth Exiting Foster Care, Walker, Connections, No. 21, Fall 2005, a publication of the International Victim Offender Mediation Association (VOMA).
- A Cohort Study of Ohana Conferencing in Child Abuse and Neglect Cases, Walker, American Humane Society, Protecting Children, Vol. 19(4), pp. 36 - 46, April 2005.
- Pono Kaulike a Pilot Restorative Justice Program, Walker & Hayaashi, Hawaii Bar Journal, May 2004
- Restorative Justice Without Offender Participation: A Pilot Program for Victims, Walker, International Institute for Restorative Practices, February 2004 PDF version
- Conferencing: A Group Process That Promotes Resiliency Publication , Walker, Second International Conference on Conferencing and Circles: Restorative Practice in Action. Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 10-12. August 2000.
- Conferencing: A New Approach for Juvenile Justice in Honolulu., Walker, Federal Probation Journal, Vol. 66 (1) June 2002.
- Conferencing: Western Application of Indigenous Peoples' Conflict Resolution Practices, Presented at Fifth National Conference on Family and Community Violence Prevention, April 9, 2001, Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Beyond Policy: Conferencing on Student Behavior Walker, Principal Leadership, Vol. 1 (7) March 2001.
- Hawaii Public Housing Implements Conferencing: A Restorative Approach to Conflict Resolution , Walker, Journal of Housing & Community Development, Nov/Dec. 2000.
Other Publications by Lorenn
- A short article I was asked to write about the first ever Belgian Xterra Triathlon My 2016 Belgium Xterra Triathlon. Also online at Xterraplanet.com
- Book Review by Lorenn July 2016: The Forgiveness Project: stories for a vengeful age / Dancing with the energy of conflict and trauma: letting go, finding peace in families, communities and nations, Restorative Justice An International Journal, 4:2, 284-287.
- Book Review by Lorenn Walker July 2014: "Not guilty: Are the acquitted innocent?" by Givelber & Farrell, 2012, International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology 2014 58: 993
- Healing Through Justice, Northeastern University Law School Magazine, Winter, 2012, London, England 2011
- The Forgiveness Project, London, England 2011
- Strength Identification, Walker, In Doing Something Different: Solution-Focused Brief Therapy Practices, Nelson, Editor, 2010, Routledge: New York.
- Passing on the Legacy of Insoo Kim Berg, Walker, November, 2008
- Montessori Leadership Violence Prevention Through Cooperative Learning, May 2008
- Italy's Inspiring Growth Mindset: How the Juvenile Detention Centre "Ferranti Aporti" Teaches Compassion and Kindness. , Italian Juvenile Justice Department, Study Research and International Activities, 03-2008.
- Juvenile Violence, 1861 - 1865 (Civil War Era), Walker, In Encyclopedia of Juvenile Violence, edited by Laura Finley, Ph.D., Greenwood Press: Westport, Conn., 2007.
- Young and Homeless in Waikiki: What do they need?, Walker, here! urbanism, design and planning, Issue 1, Spring 2006.
- Violence Prevention Through Cooperative Education, Reclaiming Children and Youth, 15:1, Spring 2006, pp. 32-36.
- Reading Stories to Change the World, Walker, Principal Leadership, October 2005 pp. 42- 47.
- Drug Baby Myth and Its Consequences on Children, Walker, Journal of Child and Youth Care, Vol. 13 (4), 1999, pp. 77-82.
- Finding Strength From My Fall, Walker, Oxygen Magazine, May/June, 2001, pp. 122-125.
Lorenn's Op-eds and Other Essays
- Invest in ways to keep people out of prison, Honolulu Star Advertiser, December 8, 2016. Walker, Honolulu Star Advertiser, October 14, 2015. (Star Advertiser subscription may be required.)
- Money politics delaying needed prison reform. Ganaden & Walker, Honolulu Star Advertiser, October 14, 2015
- Hawai’i needs fewer prisoners, not more prisons. Walker & Merce, Honolulu Star Advertiser, January 7, 2015
- Let's Focus More On Restorative Justice, Not Just Punishment. Star Advertiser July 3, 2014.
- Improving School Disciplinary Policies Would Improve Juvenile Justice System . Star Advertiser December 30, 2013.
See the online version here
- Implimenting Restorative Justice in Schools. Star Advertiser February 3, 2013.
See the online version here
- Buddha Would Probably Like Restorative Justice Shambala SunSpace March 21, 2013
- Reentry planning and strengthening family relationships Vera Institute of Justice December 22, 2010
- Incarceration System Needs Overhaul Star Advertiser November 13, 2011
- Rehabilitation Saves Lives, Money, Honolulu Advertiser, December 21, 2009
- State Must Support Programs to Cut Recidivism, Honolulu Advertiser, March 17, 2008
- Restorative Justice Better Than the 3-Strikes Law Honolulu Advertiser Thursday, April 20, 2006.
- Prison for Graffiti Will Make Matters Worse Honolulu Advertiser August 23, 2005.
- Mahalo Mr. Burnett! printed in part in the Honolulu Advertiser September 29, 2001
- Apology is Justice for Many Honolulu Advertiser, May 18 2001
Publications About Lorenn & Her Work
- Freedom of Mind: For the hypnotherapist Stann Reiziss, limitation is merely a matter of perception. By John Wythe White, Hana Hou! February/March 2012 Volume 18 No. 1
- How to Be a Success at Everything: 6 Habits of Resilient People, by Gwen Moran, Fast Company 2014
- Restorative justice helps integrate ex-offenders, by Lynn Graebner, California Health Report
- Restorative Programs Help Hawaii Inmates Reconnect with Community, Abbey J. Porter, September 2007
- Restorative Circles: The Gift of Listening in Waiawa Corrections Facility, The Compassionate Listening Project, 2007
- Let the Healing Begin, Tomonari, Honolulu Magazine November, 2006.
- Age is Only a Number to The Women Athletes , Morinaga, January 28, 2003.
- The Biography of a Nebraska Pioneer, Clarissa Palmer Griswold (Lorenn's great grandmother), written between 1929 - 1933